Category: Information Technology
Job ID: 150961
Date Posted: 03/25/2020
|This Sr. Optical Transport Architect will be responsible for Optical Transport assessment, planning, design and implementation for utility clients. The Optical Transport Architect will be responsible for the following optical transport technologies such as TDM (DS0/T1/T3), SONET, Packet Transport and Optical Transport Network (DWDM/OTN). This includes being a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on the technologies described above. Functions as a technical expert. With little to no oversight, develops and applies advanced architectural techniques, concepts and approaches to unique architecture and engineering problems. May supervise junior architects and engineering staff on projects of medium to high complexity or serve as a technical expert providing knowledge and expertise.
The Sr. Network Architect will be responsible for Optical Transport planning, assessment, architecture, design, implementation and optimization for internal and external clients. This includes assisting clients through the process of network modernization from TDM/SONET to packet transport, offering technical advisory and consulting services. Provides SME support to business development and pursuit activities, including assisting in the creation of proposal, scope, level of effort estimation and implementation plans. Leads and participates in project execution and technical delivery.
Key duties include:
• Communicating directly with clients (sometimes non-technical clients) to identify current and future communication needs
• Translating business requirements to technical network design specifications for implementation
• Collaborate with and/or delegate responsibilities to a team of engineers
• Assesses industry standards for models, and where appropriate, incorporates them into our network design best practices
• Participates as technical lead on major projects and application roll-outs
• Responsible for developing and adhering to all architectural/quality processes and procedures
• Work hand-in-hand with project management on technical issues
• Develops and manages scope, schedule and budget requirements
• Directs production teams and may coordinating multiple discipline activity
• Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts
• Strong on documentation and processes
• Validates work of lower level network architects/engineers
• Capable of optimizing day-to-day operational stability with the continual need to improve the service and deploy new services, processes and technologies
• Create or expand utility communication systems
• Understands, advocates, and supports IT and OT strategies
• Mentors others on the network services team
• Is externally recognized in industry as an expert that enhances the Company brand
• Pursues, develops and fosters current and new business opportunities
Work Environment / Physical Demands
Travel: Up to 25-50% local and regional travel, some overnight may be required.
|Required Skills||OCP, CCNA, CCDA etc. preferred, but not required
Nice to have if have CCNA with Transport background (even if expired or studying for shows initiative that trying to learn packet)
|Required Years of Experience||All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.|
|Desired Skills||•Typically a minimum of 10 years network related work experience. Utility experience preferred.
•Bachelor's degree in engineering technology or sciences preferred or any other degree, specialized training, or experience, that makes the individual uniquely qualified to perform the job responsibilities
•Industry recognized credentials preferred as needed
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Expert knowledge of optical transport architecture and engineering design principles, guides and standards.
• Expert experience in designing and evaluating optical transport network (i.e OTN, DWDM, SONET, etc.)
• Specific product knowledge and hands-on configuration experience on a variety of vendors (i.e. Nokia, Cisco, Ciena, Fujitsu, etc. OTN/DWDM/IP-MPLS/Packet Transport
• Experience configuring, testing and evaluating transport networks such as SONET, DWDM/OTN, and Packet Transport.
• Experience or knowledge using such tools as OTDRs, Fiber Characterization Test Sets, Optical Channel Spectrum Analyzers, Light Meters, TDM/Packet Test Sets and other related transport apparatus.
• Installation experience with establishing, commissioning and integrating optical network devices, fiber, cable management and rack power distribution.
• Ability to evaluate, refine and implement architectural designs.
• Professional network documentation skills, including, but not limited to the development and evolving of network drawings, rack layouts, cut sheets and various technical deliverables.
• Highly advanced writings skills in creating and publishing professional processes and procedures, including System Requirements, Method of Procedures (MOPs), work packages, Request for Information (RFI) and Request for Proposals (RFP), among other related deliverables.
• Advanced knowledge of telecommunications technologies and architectures
• Highly Advanced ability to scope engineering deliverable content
• Advanced industry knowledge and technology trends
• Advanced knowledge of technical aspects of the proposal process
• Intermediate knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles
• Intermediate knowledge of process, procedures for project controls and estimating
• Experience with configuring RF/WiMax/Microwave radio equipment is desirable
• Cybersecurity knowledge and experience is also desirable.
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• Logical Thinking and Problem-Solving
• Oral and Written Communications
• Influence and Consensus Building
• Consulting Mindset
• Dealing with Ambiguity
• Customer Focus
• Quality Assurance