System One is now seeking a Health & Safety Specialist who will be responsible to develop and execute policies, procedures, and programs to ensure both short term and long-term compliance with the HSQE (Health, Safety, Quality & Environmental) requirements of the project agreement, relevant regulations, international standards and industry best practices. The position reports to the HSQE Manager.
Applicants should have the ability to embrace a dynamic working environment that promotes safety, service, quality, motivation and teamwork in a start-up environment. Applicants must have a desire to learn, be flexible, safety conscious, and have an excellent work ethic. A comprehensive benefits package and an RRSP match program is offered.
- Develop, coordinate, and implement HSQE(Health, Safety, Quality & Environment) procedures;
- Develop and deliver RTM H&S orientations and external contractor safety orientation;
- Perform internal Audits per ISO Standards;
- Support the HSQE Manager in the management of subcontractors through audits and liaise with subcontractor HSQE personnel;
- Maintain the risk register and test the adequacy of the mitigation measures;
- Obtain and track required environmental permits, licenses, and approvals and ensure compliance with the requirements of these permits, licenses, and approvals;
- Provide input on improving environmental protection and practices, and/or resolving issues of non-compliance;
- Verify through regular planned and unplanned inspections and audits that process and procedure are adequate, effective and followed.
- Maintain records, share information, carry out analysis, recommend actions and monitor implementation to minimize harm to passengers, staff, neighbours and the environment;
- Support, coach and mentor colleagues in improving safe work behaviours ;
- Maintain training records and schedule internal and external training based on training needs analysis and certificate expiration;
- Facilitate the incident reporting and investigation process, maintain the incident reporting database, and analyze data to determine trends for continuous improvement;
- Liaise with Workplace Health and Safety Committee to ensure involvement in the development of H&S plans, procedures, policies, training, and incident trending;
- Follow up on corrective actions stemming from inspections, audits, non-conformance reports and investigations;
- Facilitate root cause analysis meetings and follow up on recommended corrective actions;
- Plan and organize regular exercises to test emergency response;
- Maintain current knowledge of relevant regulatory requirements and industry standards.
- College Certificate or Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety. Other relevant disciplines and work experience will be considered;
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in a safety-critical industrial environment, preferably in the transportation and/or facilities maintenance industry;
- Relevant health and safety qualifications – CRSP or CHSC preferred;
- Relevant Internal Quality Auditor certification - preferred;
- Environmental inspection and monitoring experience would be considered and asset;
- Knowledge in maintaining and auditing safety, quality and environment management systems;
- Knowledge and demonstrated use of risk assessment methods and root cause analysis methods;
- Knowledge and demonstrated application of relevant regulatory requirements, including ISO14001, ISO9001, Canada Labour Code Part II, Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act and its Regulations, Fire Code, Building Code and applicable CSA standards;
- Excellent English language skills with strong verbal and written communication skills, including previous experience with report writing;
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products and document control software
- Highly effective interpersonal and teamwork skills;
- Proven inspection and auditing skills; and
- French language skills would be considered an asset