Estimator - Marine & Shipyards
Location: Southeast Louisiana
Busy shipyard needs an experienced Estimator. Must have experience in new construction in a shipyard.
This position works in the Estimating Department to plan and develop thorough bids in the ship new construction and repair industry. Estimates will range in value in value and multiple estimates will be worked concurrently. Customers may include include Navy, USCG, US Army, MSC, MARAD, NOAA, and commercial owners and operators.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reviews customer’s work specifications and detailed drawings; develops labor, material, and subcontractor price estimates for required work, produces final bids incorporating all costs for management review.
- Analyzes subcontractor quotes to determine best alternatives; builds strong working relationships with vendors to assure cost effective pricing and services.
- Ability to identify all the trades required to accomplish the work and develop a detail by trade of the hours required to accomplish the work.
- Identifies and schedules key and critical path work items.
- Identifies and resolves ambiguities or inconsistencies in specifications or bid packages that could affect cost, prior to contract finalization.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of principles for bid development processes and estimating techniques.
- Knowledge of project management principles and best practices.
- Systems thinking and inductive or deductive reasoning as necessary to assist in the development of estimates to increase the company’s effectiveness or productivity.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical specifications, reference drawings, technical documents, government documents, and regulatory body regulations.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and employees.
- Ability to define problems, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to organize time and prioritize work to meet deadline goals.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft: Excel, Project, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Word. Must be proficient in the use of Excel to develop detailed labor hour estimates.
- Strong math skills are a plus.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or GED equivalent is required. Prefer some college coursework in math and some exposure and knowledge of a production environment.
Minimum four (4) years of estimating or related experience in a maritime industry required. The individual must have experience and thorough knowledge of shipboard systems, government regulations, ship repair methods and administrative procedures.