TerraPower is a nuclear technology company based in Bellevue, Washington. At its core, the company is working to raise living standards globally through a more affordable, secure and environmentally friendly form of nuclear energy along with innovations in medical isotopes to improve human health. In 2006, TerraPower originated with Bill Gates and a group of like-minded visionaries who evaluated the fundamental challenges to raising living standards around the world. They recognized energy access was crucial to the health and economic well-being of communities and decided that the private sector needed to take action and create energy sources that would advance global energy deployment. TerraPower’s mission is to be a world leader in new nuclear technologies, while developing innovators and future leaders in the nuclear field. As a result, the company’s activities in the fields of nuclear energy and related sciences are yielding significant innovations in the safety and economics of nuclear power, hybrid energy and medical applications – all for significant human health benefits.
TerraPower is seeking to hire highly motivated and forward-thinking professionals who are interested in focusing on advanced nuclear reactor research and development and influencing change within the nuclear power landscape and bringing forward the critical production of medical isotopes. TerraPower is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. In addition, as a federal contractor, TerraPower has instituted an Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) in an effort to proactively recruit, hire, and promote women, minorities, disabled persons and veterans.
Senior System Design Engineer
The Senior System Design Engineer reports directly to the System Design Manager and is a position focused on the design of primarily power and steam cycle systems. In this role, you will act as a System Design Engineer for TerraPower’s advanced nuclear reactor projects or other highly technical projects. The successful candidate will integrate and coordinate with engineers working on interfacing systems. The Senior Power System Design Engineer will work as part of a high-performing team of engineers and scientists.
- Responsible for coordinating geographically diverse design team members to develop supporting design documentation. Team members include TerraPower employees, subcontracted resources, partner employees, and customers.
- Design of power cycle and/or steam systems, from the development of systems and sub-system requirements through final design.
- Coordinate analyses, such as thermohydraulic, seismic, structural, heat transfer, and other analyses performed by others required for the design.
- Identify and ensure effective application of correct design codes such as ASME, API, etc.
- Coordinate and lead planning efforts and maintain schedule adherence for design activities.
- Interface with design team to create and manage drawing packages of system and sub-system designs, such as Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs), Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs), 3D models, and system interface drawings.
- Collaborate with design disciplines (such as mechanical, controls, civil, and nuclear) to identify and develop equipment design information and specify equipment design and performance criteria.
- Provide technical direction and oversight of supplier projects, working with the contract administrator to ensure delivery of data and other deliverables, as well as coordination and performance of technical reviews of deliverables.
- Establish and maintain system and sub-system level requirement and specification documents, including but not limited to, Engineering Design Specifications for key equipment.
- Propose and initiate system and sub-system testing programs, as needed, then participate as a key member of the team during test execution, results evaluation, and reporting of test results.
- Generate design package for key systems and sub-systems including coordination of calculations, design reports, mechanical drawings, and engineering design specifications.
- Develop and review technical design documents, such as System Requirements Documents, System Design Descriptions, Interface Control Documents, Engineering Design Specifications, etc.
- Lead design reviews as system and subsystem designs are established and refined.
Key Qualifications and Skills
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or related discipline from an accredited university and 8+ years direct experience with proven mechanical systems skills.
- Expertise and 4+ years of experience in industrial power generation units (such as steam turbine, combined cycle, boilers, etc.) including experience performing heat and mass balance calculations for industrial power cycles.
- Demonstrated experience leading mechanical design of complex, large structures and equipment in high temperature, radioactive, nuclear quality, and multi-discipline integration is desired.
- Experience designing or evaluating the performance of thermohydraulic equipment necessary to the power cycle, such as pumps and turbines.
- Experience with high temperature heat transfer systems. Familiarity with high temperature molten salts or similar heat transfer fluids desired.
- Excellent technical writing, communication, and presentation skills.
- Attention to detail and aspiration for technical excellence.
- Candidate must be a self-starter and possess ability to coordinate and lead a design team’s effort with minimal direction.
- Ability to handle projects that include need to prioritize many objectives and design constraints, with ability to resolve conflicts between objectives.
- Ability to work on tasks that require a multi-disciplinary approach.
- Familiarity with the ASME Boiler Pressure Vessel Codes as applied to power generation systems a plus.
- Experience working to quality standards on design activities, such as ASME NQA-1 or ISO 9001.
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, able to communicate openly, and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork.
- Actual position starting level and title will be determined based on assessment of qualifications.
Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position.? These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job, which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation.? Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations.? An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be?discussed and workplace?accommodations may?be made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
- Motor Abilities: Sitting and/or standing for extended periods, bending/stooping, grasping/gripping, fine motor control (hands)
- Physical exertion and/or requirements: Minimal, with ability to safely lift up to 20 pounds
- Repetitive work: Prolonged
- Special Senses: Visual and audio focused work
- Work Conditions: Stairs, typing/keyboard, standing and/or sitting working environment of >8 hrs./day
TerraPower’s technology is controlled for export by various agencies of the U.S. Government. TerraPower must evaluate applicants who are foreign nationals (other than asylees, refugees, or lawful permanent residents) in accordance with U.S. Government export control requirements. To facilitate TerraPower’s export control reviews, you will be asked as part of the application process to identify whether you are a U.S. Citizen or national, asylee, refugee, or lawful permanent resident of the United States. Government export authorization approval times vary. Based on the business needs for a particular position, TerraPower may not consider a foreign national from a country if it is impracticable to obtain timely Government export approval.