Category: Scientific & Clinical
Title: Formulation Scientist
Location: Hazlet, NJ
Schedule: M-F, 9:00am-5:00pm
Type: Direct Hire
Start date: ASAP
- AS/BS Degree in field of applicable science or equivalent experience.
- (2) + years experience in the personal care industry developing skincare formulation
- Working knowledge of standard instrumentation (pH meter, viscometer, microscope, etc.)
- Knowledge within various disciplines (e.g. emulsions, serums, gels, dispersions, surfactant systems) and familiarity with skin biology and active ingredient functions.
- Must be autonomous and flexible while handling multiple projects with strong sense of urgency.
- Creative and self-motivated. Be able to think outside of the box and willing to take extra steps to get job done.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Have a team spirit and be able to motivate others by being an energizing force.
This position is primarily responsible for creating innovative, high-performance skincare/hair care products for our boutique R&D firm, as well as providing technical ideas on novel ingredients (natural and otherwise), including non-traditional preservation systems. The ideal candidate will actively collaborate on formulation advice/correction and new product development.
- New product development from inception through testing, scale up and transition to manufacturing.
- Strong knowledge of creative and technical aspects of cosmetic formula development, including working knowledge of OTC products.
- Maintain close awareness of scientific literature, raw material technology, process methodology, consumer needs and marketing trends.
- Create marketing concepts for new products with the support of claims.
- Prepare necessary documentation for project development including but not limited to Ingredient Lists, Quantitative Formulas and Batch Cards.
- Interact with support teams, vendors, contract manufacturer and internal teams on variety of issues associated with Technical Marketing, Sales and Manufacturing.
- Understanding of cosmetic raw material functions (especially naturals), as well as budgets and quality assurance/control.